Where the heck are you?

Sunday, May 25, 2008

It's a Good Thing

Blech! That is all I have to say about slow shower drains. Blech! But I have a new solution that does not require pouring poison where my sweet babies take a bath.


From: Martha of course

Pour 1/2 cup baking soda, followed by 1/2 cup white vinegar, down drain, and cover with a plug or rag. The mixture will work to break down any fats into salt and harmless gas. Flush with boiling water.
Tips To prevent clogs, make sure your drain has a screen that keeps out solids. In the kitchen, never pour fat down the drain. In the bathroom, brush hair before getting into the shower. And go easy on soaps, shampoos, and especially conditioners and products that contain oils.


Totally works. Filled the tea kettle twice for our shower. Blech! Sorry is this TMI? The good news is when you are married to a dental student though you can't afford Drain-o, there are copious amounts of baking soda laying around.

Please leave your green(and therefore probably cheap) cleaning tip as a comment. I can use all the help I can get.

4 comments:

Blogdor said...

Palm fronds for toilet paper.

Ashley said...

Reuse your paper towels. Especially the ones on which Jack throws up. Just rinse and ring em out. And don't use your DVR.

lisasdad said...

I wish I could wash my fat down the drain, then my pants would fit!

Blogdor said...

Lisa, you have been so privileged as to receive a link on my blog under the category of "Blogs That Rock Most of the Time." All I ask is that you give Blogdor the same treatment. http://blogdorthebloginator.blogspot.com/

P.S. Your link's title is "She's a Democrat" It really gives my blog cred for being open minded.