Where the heck are you?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

There is nothing standing between me and happiness

There are a few days in my life that stand out of course as the best days of my life. My kids being born, marrying Pat, asking Christ into my life. Then there is today. The day of all days. I have often said that the only thing standing between me and happiness is a DVR. And boy was I right!

Today the man appeared at my door, much like you hope Elijah will during a passover Seder. He was here representing DirecTV, and if I wanted the current special he could have it installed today. Today.

The keen Lisa observer will remember that I tried to have DirecTV installed when we moved in, and when after several calls I couldn't get a response, I took it as a clue from Jesus to live within my means. Well folks apparently Jesus has plans for me to conspicuously consume because there was Phil at my door at 11:50 am.

So if there was any question as to how I would be spending my money from Uncle George we now know. Though like our friend Sam used to say, I will probably be spending that money 3 or 4 times. That's me doing my part to boost the economy. Seriously how was I going to spend it, put it in a Roth-IRA?

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Connie, I am counting on you to tell me how I will actually be saving money with cable.

Anonymous said...

I have started burning our books already.
-Patrick

Anonymous said...

You're gonna view tv in a different life. add another thing in your life you'll love. i say spend the money. i'm excited for ya now you can watch lost over and over

ConnieFinney said...

Oh, how can I name the ways your life will change....please amend the directions you gave to Ella about a fire. The directions now go like this "Grab the DVR then run out, in case of a fire."
Seriously, saving $-
1) You will never buy a children's dvd again
2) You won't be tempted to go out to the movies, since you'll have so much tv to catch up on.
BUT stay away from QVC- they will get oyu to buy a mop, eslastic top pants or a Coach purse if you aren't careful! With money tips like mine, you'd think we were billionaires!
XO,CF

Ashley said...

...
3. You will have sex more often because date night is now at home, (since you have unlimited food money to stock your cupboards and fridge with exotic foods AND a DVR) thus saving you money, time and extensive planning--and OBVIOUSLY making you happier since that is what having sex more often does to people. Endorphins and such. I won't go into the such.
4. Jack won't need any more stupid toys, again saving you more time, money and clutter space.
5. You can watch the Colbert Report on the Comedy Channel and you will laugh so hard that you can count that as your workout, thus removing any necessity for a gym pass-for which you may or may not be paying, so #4 might not necessarily count.
6. You won't have time to bemoan how poor you are as you will be enjoying every ounce of unused time you have with your remote; such bemoanings can often lead to impulsive and erratic shopping. You won't do that anymore... I KNOW you do it all the time now. And Pat even more than you.
7. You can't put a price on happiness...well, actually you can. 40 bucks a month.

Ashley said...

Excuse me. #5. #5 might not necessarily count.

AshleyS said...

ok, i'm a huge fan of TiVO! I think it's such a worthy investment. Think about it, you can watch a 1 hour show in 45 minutes now, so that means by sitting down and watching 2 one-hour shows, you are giving yourself an extra half hour in your day! brilliant! last night i needed more time to get things done, so I watched 4 one-hour shows and gave myself an extra hour to my day! (ps. for some reason my husband doesn't like this justification method when i'm shopping, but doesn't it make sense that buying a $25 dollar shirt on sale from $50 is saving me $25 dollars so in essence I am MAKING money while shopping?!) why doesn't anyone understand this?

ConnieFinney said...

I totally get you logic, Ashley. Ask Lisa. It seems to me that you and I should really be millionare many times over.

ConnieFinney said...

I mean your logic.