Where the heck are you?

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Feats of Strength

Sunday we had a great time at California Adventure with my in-laws, the high points being: 1. watching Ella and Mary skip over the cracks in the concrete, 2. listening to Pat and Joe scream like girls on Tower of Terror, 3. impressing my father-in-law with my Disney strategy.



After going from earlier than opening(did you know they let you in 1/2 hour early?) to parade we were pretty pooped. Somehow Monday at 2 we were discussing how it was Pat's last day of vacation and we decided to go back to Disney. Not the feat of strength.



We arrived at the parking structure and had to park in Donald, second level from the top. Pat had Jack and I had my bag, the coats, and Ella's hand. Somehow she let go, but I didn't notice. That is until 5 steps down Ella says "Mommy!?!" still at the top of the escalator. I have two choices watch my terrified child disappear as I cascade down the world's tallest escalator, or run back up. At this point 10 steps down, I decide I have to go for it. Like the world's worst Stairmaster I run up the escalator of course thinking " I can't do this" then remembering I have to.

Unbelievably I reach the top and grab Ella's hand!

After she gets on the people who were standing at the top watching the whole thing said "I can't believe you did that, I couldn't have done it." I asked if she had kids, she said yes, and I told her "yes, you could have."


I felt like the lady who lifts a car off of her child! I knew if I waited to go all the way down and all the way up we would lose visual contact and she would be in hysterics. And not for nothing, I didn't know who was at the top of that escalator!



At the bottom I made Pat take a picture of me in my moment of triumph and he said, "Aren't you glad you've been running?" I guess I'm not just dragging myself to the gym for a smaller butt.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Never discount the motivational power of a smaller butt...

Adam would love to come over any night that works best for you. He will eat Ramen and Diet Dr. Pepper for every meal Monday through Friday, so maybe Wednesday would be a good midpoint time of the week to break up the mundane meals. Thank you.

Patrick said...

I was there during her heroic pursuit, and it was awesome!