Where the heck are you?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

(Two) Milestone

Tonight I went two miles. Though this is not a big deal for most (my husband refuses to run anything less than two miles) I think it is the first time in my life ever to have gone two miles. As a matter of fact my only memory of running before is the President's Physical Fitness testing in the 8th grade, and that was a mile that I whined through.

With each marker as I have been running these last two months I think of those words of Christopher Robin to Pooh "You're braver than you believe and you are stronger than you seem." Running, like parenting, pushes you to your limits and then when you are brave you go a little further. Children don't wait for you to be brave to push you beyond your limits. They don't even wait until you are awake.

Jack is getting his "maxillary central incisors" which look positively ugly bulging through. I am not sure which I dread more, not sleeping for the next few nights or him inevitably biting me. I suppose now is the time to be brave.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Beautifully written. Poetic even. I am so proud of you for running, you rock; and you have obviously demonstrated how running inspires the metaphoric mind. Keep on trucking.

Let me know when you want to come over and watch JUNO. It may possibly be even more funny for me to listen to your high pitched laughter while I watch if for the fourth time.

Anonymous said...

I'm usually the big pain in Lisa's life, so I'm glad little Dracula is taking some of the heat;) I'm really proud of how hard she has been working at running.--Patrick

Anonymous said...

You go runner chick!
I wish we local. I miss you!
:(
~Connie